Tuesday, October 16, 2012

It's Human Nature

I'm about halfway through "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close", Jonathan Safran Foer's incredible novel. The deeply complex story tells about Oskar Schell, whose father died at 9/11. Searching the entire city of New York for a lock to match his father's key, Oskar embarks on a journey that changes his own life and that of many others. Although Oskar's feelings and actions are sometimes perplexing, I think it's an amazing piece.

In the book, it is quickly made evident that Oskar and his dad had a strong connection, and that Thomas Schell guided his son through many aspects of life. Realizing that Oskar wasn't a social person, he set up a "quest" for his son to find the Sixth Borough of New York City. As he continued finding clues and evidence of the 6th Borough's existence, Oskar made important communication skills. Oskar had to talk with many people all over Central Park to solve the mystery. However, after reading more of the story, I wonder if Oskar's father was a good mentor after all. Oskar's conversation skills are improved– but not quite. At school, he has no friends, and is bullied regularly. He doesn't seem to have the ability to speak well with his classmates. Instead, he has developed a way with words when he talks with adults, which is especially brought into focus when he begins searching for the lock to his father's key. And although he can get through to many people, he is often rude, mean, and inconsiderate. For example, Oskar (who is only nine) speaks to a maid like she is a child, making her feel self-conscious and nervous. Despite the fact that he may not know he is doing it, he is cruel to his mother. He insults her and acts as if he doesn't love her.

We're all inconsiderate, mean, and selfish at times. We've all said something rude about someone. But in this world, where conflicts happen every second of every day, it's important to be compassionate. Being nice to others, helping them out, and even just saying hello are key things to do to be compassionate. Communication is also fundamental– if we can't speak with someone about problems or conflicts we're going through, we'll be lost in a whirlwind of secrets, worries, and self-consciousness. Feeling emotion is part of human nature! If we don't show our feelings, we seem cold and distant. Nobody wants to hang out with someone monotonous and expressionless. Maintaining relations with other people (even if they aren't personal) is vital. We have to connect with others in order to stay anchored to the world, just as Oskar had to. Oskar had his own imaginary little world he lived in until he started talking with people and exchanging stories with them. Gradually, he came closer to Earth and real life, which is exactly what we have to do if we don't communicate. All in all, I think this book sends a very powerful message: To share our emotions with the world.


 


2 comments:

  1. Adrian, I read and wrote a blog post on this book earlier in the year. It is an amazing book and when I finished it I had a lot to say about it. Overall, I definitely agree with you, his father DID teach him a lot, but not really anything that would guide him as a KID growing up. I also think that this is not entirely his fathers fault as Oskar does have a mental disability that affects how he acts socially I do agree that maybe Thomas should have also tried to give his kid a stable life at school, when he wasn't around, and not just at home, when he is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, amazing piece, Adrian! I actually saw the movie "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" and I totally agree with a lot that you are saying. I really actually disliked the character of Oskar. I do completely understand how it is hard for him since his father passed away and he is as you beautifully stated not very social and now that his dad/only friend died he doesn't have anyone to talk to. But I honestly do not believe that anyone has an excuse to be that mean, especially to his mother who has been feeling similar emotions as Oskar has, since her husband died.

    ReplyDelete